To me, the most interesting thing about the second half of Three Stigmata is the result of style and prose that leaves the reader in a state of delirious pacing and character blending. Like a bad trip, PKD's already notoriously contradictory characters become both literally (through the usage of Can-D) and figuratively (through the usage of Can-Z and Eldrich's influence) blended together into a milieu of self-loathing and temporal distortion.
I struggle to express how I felt during the climax and conclusion of the novel. I can only compare the experience to viewing the extremely disturbing and violent film Enter the Void, which incidentally shares a number of themes with Three Stigmata, including habitual drug usage, fetishization of innocence, and a preoccupation with spirituality. Both PKD's novel and the film share a slow decent into madness, a uncompromising devotion to instigating change in the viewer/reader, and the exploration of the validity inherent in escapism.
No comments:
Post a Comment